Place: Online via Twitter
Date: Friday, March 26, 2010
Time: 9p-10p EST
Hosts: @euphorialuv , @Quiskaeya and @Jamericanspice
Topic: Teaching Biracial Children About their Identity. We hope all multiracial families (Black, Asian, Latin, White, Other) will join us as we discuss political, social and parenting issues related to being a biracial or parenting a biracial.
Purpose: To provide parents & biracials an opportunity to talk about biracial identity to help build a stronger multiracial/multicultural community. Some questions open for discussion are:
- As a parent of a biracial how do you help your child self-identify? Ex: books, events, playgroups etc
- If your child chose one identity over another would it offend you?
- Are your children equally accepted by both sides of the family?
- Do you feel the one drop rule is still widely thought and accepted with regards to biracials?
- Do you consider how society will identify your child? Does this effect how you teach your biracial child to self-identity?
Even if you do not have a twitter account you can still join the conversation. The discussion will stream through tweetchat (http://tweetchat.com). You can set up an account with them and jump right into the action.
To participate be sure to follow @euphorialuv , @Quiskaeya and @Jamericanspice. Also be sure to tweet with the hashtag #BiracialFamily between 9:00 and 10:00 p.m. EDT.
Please feel free to spread the word to other multiracial/multicultural groups. Hope that you will join in for a time of learning and sharing.