Copyright © Mixed Family Life
Design by Dzignine
Thursday, April 16, 2009

Blasian in the Baby Cover Contest

I finally caving under the pressure to submit my's photo into the Babytalk/Good Morning America cover contest for 2009. Since he was born I've been hearing I need to put him into contests and modeling. I've been taking a strong stance against any of these suggestions. Of course I think my son is adorable and would love for the world to see his ultimate yumminess. But I'm sorta conflicted about pitting babies against each other. After all aren't all babies beautiful in there own way?

babyphotocontest Well the answer should be yes. But it seems there's always some study done which supports popular opinion that mixed race babies are the cutest. So can someone tell me why most baby photo contest tend to showoff mono-racial babies? Is there a mixed race baby photo contest I'm not aware of that I should be entering? Because I'm not 100% on board with pitting my little mixie against single race babies. I don't think you can even offer a fair comparison. I dunno...maybe I just look for issues with everything. After all this is suppose to be a positive and happy thing right? I mean if we get into the finals then we can get some great prizes along with exposure... exposure that will bring the reality of mixed race blasian babies to the masses! *insert diabolic laughter* But wait...why is my little one the only blasian baby in this contest anyway?! I took some time to check thru the photos of the different babies just to see if I could find another biracial child. Now I could be wrong cause some of those kids gave me pause... racial speaking...but for the sake of my argument I'm going to say I think he was the only black and asian child...so far. I can only hope I can talk another mom of a blasian into entering =) . I feel entering this contest will be a good thing whether we win or not. If we don't put ourselves and our community out there for society to become aware then our voices and images will remain in the background. What a shame that would be

6 comments:

Quiskaeya says:
at: April 17, 2009 at 8:30 AM said...

I say GO FOR IT! I'm like you were originally - I just couldn't stomach pitting my child against another. However, on another note, it's high time the racial standard of beauty in this country got blurred. The fact is the blasian community isn't as exceptional as most people think but the exposure in the media is so few. That goes for all biracials in general, but I think even more so for blasians.

Migdalia says:
at: April 23, 2009 at 7:29 AM said...

I DEFINITELY think you should join! And of course let us know so we can contribute and rate!

adiaha says:
at: May 4, 2009 at 10:34 PM said...

OMG, your son is gorgeous and so are you too! I am on your site because of the pic! It made me want to read more. What a beautiful picture and statement you two make. Quick question....can we chat about betrothals? I am sure my husband can be talked into a dowry he is old fashioned like that!!! LMAO no really he is going to have a fan club!

Little Lady Cakes says:
at: May 7, 2009 at 2:36 PM said...

I'm from MBC button club and I grabbed your button!

Staci A says:
at: May 12, 2009 at 1:27 PM said...

Best of luck! I saw his pic at the top and he is adorable!

Anonymous
at: July 14, 2010 at 9:58 AM said...

Let the Asians help in your "Identity Crisis", On who you are NOT.

Check out the "LOU JING    ...Story on You TUBE" and The Net.

I see a lot of this Biasian, Blasian  ...etc.

Now it's becoming the Big Joke among the Asians.

It's like person who have a white Mom and Black Dad calling themselves "Blwhites",   The Asians can see your DEEP FEAR of saying the word Black and part Asian or

AFRO-ASIANS.  

To the asians, You guys and gals with this "Blasian" thing will always be a Big ZEROS and a Big Joke to them, If they ask you for fun, what is this "Bl" thing you got here? Can you say Black.

They (Asians) are NOT going to give up their 2 to 30 thousand year OLD HANG UPs, Because your Mom or Dad is one of them. So "YOU" need to get that in your head and give it some light though.