Copyright © Mixed Family Life
Design by Dzignine
Friday, June 18, 2010

Making a Dad for Father's Day

Today when I went to pick my son up from daycare I was given a surprise. Now you'd think by now I'd know the daycare does something for the "holidays". Nope, totally clueless. So when I was told that my son should get his Dad I was dumbfounded for a minute. I was like...His Dad?! Where?! And how did he get in?!


Apparently the joke was on me cause they were talking about a paper "dad" my son made as a gift for his...ummm...dad. As I looked at my son's drawing I started to laugh. First thing I noticed is that my son's "dad" was a bit pale. I mentioned that maybe we can color the skin...no go...they said no. Hmm. I'm guessing they're guessing my son's dad is light skin or something. The daycare never asked and I never offered the info.


Once back home I took a closer look at the drawing. Oddly enough so did my son. I thought it was funny that "daddy" seemed to have "asian" eyes and was painted yellow and black. I mentioned to my son that those are the colors of his parents. I don't think he believed me.

As we stood there gazing at "daddy" I started wondering. What will happen next year, and the year after that and the year after that. How will my son deal/feel/cope with making things for a father who's not in his life for "father's day"?!

Like this article? Subscribe to the RSS feed or for email updates!

2 comments:

Kim
at: September 17, 2010 at 8:01 PM said...

I don't mean to be rude, but is Daniel's father in his life at all? Does he visit or talk to him? I'm new to your website so I don't know your story.

Nikki says:
at: October 19, 2010 at 10:53 AM said...

No he's not, and doesn't