Copyright © Mixed Family Life
Design by Dzignine
Friday, July 25, 2008

Baby Steps Towards Korean Traditions

Daniel is now 1 Month. Well officially he will be on Sunday since that’s the 27th of the month. But since I go weekly by Fridays then I’m counting today. With Daniel getting older I want to follow the Korean tradition. Sadly I’m behind in getting his clothes and having professional photos done. The delay is partly because I didn’t finish researching what type of clothes he needs and what happens with 1 months olds Korean boys. I’ll have to ask the women in the NKMTK (married to Korean men) group for info and suggestions. I’ll also tap my Korean co-workers now that I’m allowed to visit. Shucks might as well also try the Korean adoption yahoo group. I hope to get all info and take his photo by the end of the month. A little late but I’ll try to be more prepared for the 100 days and 1 year tradition. Oddly, Guyanese folks don’t have any traditions for the 1 month mark. I’ll have to find a Guyanese tradition to celebrate with him. *UPDATE* Well I got the info from my co-workers and women in the married to Korean men group. Seems no one celebrates the first month. My Korean co-workers had a good laugh at me about being early. Darn them.








It’s the 100th day (baek-il) and 1st birthday (Tol) that’s celebrated with special clothes, photos, foods and a party. I doubt I’ll do the party…who can I invite? But the other parts should be fun. I have to dress him in a “Hanbok” and get photos taken. My Korean “mom” Young Mi will get one for Daniel since I’m clueless about where to shop and they cost about $100 and up. Yeah I know. We’ll see if I’ll take the photos myself or have them done by a pro when the time comes. For sure I’m not trying to cook any of the treats. Best to get those by a pro or someone who knows how to make them. Yummm Odd bit of insider info about the photo requirements. Seems along with dress-up photos, I should have no-clothes photos also. It’s custom to proudly show off the penis of the baby boys in the photos. While I want to respect my son’s heritage there’s a limit to how far I’m going to follow tradition.

2 comments:

Penny says:
at: January 1, 2009 at 5:26 AM said...

I can give you the link to where I buy all the boys hanboks... I think I have bought 5 from them now and they are fabulous!

http://stores.ebay.com/Korea-and-More

Good luck!
Penny
(www.pennyshidingplace.blogspot.com)

Angela (Melting Pot Moms) says:
at: January 23, 2009 at 8:27 AM said...

Are you familiar w/ Kimchi Mamas? You might find some good ideas/resources there: http://kimchimamas.typepad.com

Love your blog!