Copyright © Mixed Family Life
Design by Dzignine
Saturday, January 22, 2011

Your Sebae Honors Me - Dear Daniel Saturday

It's Saturday! Time for a Dear Daniel letter

Korean Family Day

Dear Daniel

Words can't describe how I felt today when I saw you Sebae (Korean New Year's bow to parents). When I planned on celebrating family day for the Korean New Year, I just wanted to share one more thing about Korean culture with you. It's my love for you that inspired me to start attending events at the Korea Society. It's my love for you that helps me ignore the drama I get from friends and family for sharing your culture with you. It's my love for you that strengthens me when I have to be the only black mother in a room of Asian moms. It's always about my love for you....

Korean Family Day

Little did I know that today I would get that love back in an unexpected way. When we went to the Sebae section it was just about taking a photo and learning about the tradition. When the man sitting there offered to teach you how to bow, I was surprised. Honestly I didn't think you'd let him teach you. Then when you tried to get away by squirming around I figure that was the end of it. But for some reason that only you know, you changed your mind.

Korean Family DayKorean Family Day

As the women, also sitting there, instructed me to take off my shoes and sit down, the man moved you into position. As I watched you kneel down and figure out what to do, my heart ache with the joy of it. As your little body bowed down I nearly cried. I chose to cheer and praise you instead for being such a good son. In a room filled with Korean's my blasian son gave me honor as his black mother.

I'm not sure what the people in the room thought about us and to be honest I dont really care. Because in that one moment all the stress, fears, and tears that I've had to deal with from the moment I saw those two pink lines didn't matter. All that mattered is a mothers love for her son was being returned and honored with that one simple gesture of bowing. Happy Korean New Year my son.

Love you always,
Your Umma

Like this article? Subscribe to the RSS feed or for email updates!

5 comments:

~ Y says:
at: January 23, 2011 at 4:40 PM said...

That is so sweet and touching. Happy Korean New Year to Daniel!

michelle says:
at: January 23, 2011 at 7:44 PM said...

That was a gorgeous post. You should print it and save it for Daniel.

Happy New Year. He is blessed to have a mom like you.

Anonymous
at: January 24, 2011 at 4:25 AM said...

This was such a touching post. Your love and dedication for your son is so apparent,I'm certain this won't be the last time cutie pie Daniel will honor you as his mother. You deserve it after all!

Kristi {at} Live and Love...Out Loud says:
at: January 26, 2011 at 5:12 PM said...

That is by far the sweetest thing I read all day, Nikki. :)

Maya says:
at: February 27, 2011 at 4:20 AM said...

What a really beautiful post!