Copyright © Mixed Family Life
Design by Dzignine
Friday, January 14, 2011

Taken From Me: Tiffany Rubin Story of a Black Mother of a Blasian Son

I remember when I first heard about Tiffany Rubin, a black women who went to Korean to get back her kidnapped blasian son. I was floored on so many levels.

Since I had just become a new mother, hearing that a mother had to kidnap back her son was just astonishing to me. But as I looked at my own son, I understood Tiffany's determination to get her son back, no matter what it took.

Tiffany Rubin Movie Tiffany Rubin blasian son

Then I started thinking on the other details of the story. Did the father really kidnap his son and take him to Korea? And the Korean government was allowing it? Umm, didn't anyone think it was a bit strange, this blasian kid was walking around without his mother? Clearly this wasn't an issue from the news articles I read.

While we all know the story ends on a happy note with Tiffany getting her son back to USA, I always wondered how things really went down...well now I don't have to wonder anymore. The Tiffany Rubin story has been made into a MOVIE with all the cloak and dagger details!

Taraji P. Henson stars as Tiffany Rubin in Taken From Me: The Tiffany Rubin Story on Lifetime. Based on a true story, this film shows the determination of one mother to get her child back after being abducted and taken out of the country.


Oh, you have no idea how excited I am *fans myself to keep from fainting* FINALLY! A black mother with a blasian child will have her story broadcasting to thousands. This is a major step in the ongoing struggle to get awareness for my asian and black community. More important it's a major step is showing a black mothers love for her child and the lengths she will go to protect and keep him safe.

The image of black mother isn't always shown as powerful on a positive, enduring, loving and nurturing slant so I'm excited that someone somewhere was touched by Tiffany's story and found a way to share it on a major network to a broader audience. *grabs a box tissue*

I have to send a special thanks for Taraji P. Henson for once again doing her thing and giving an image of a black mother connected to the asian community. Loved her in The Karate Kid remake.

I wonder if she's willing to play me in a movie version of a black woman building a blasian community, while trying to take over the world. Just putting it out there :)

1 comments:

MsXpat says:
at: November 27, 2011 at 2:18 PM said...

Wow she sounds like an amazing lady. I didn't know about the life events that lead up to this movie being made. I'm a big fan of Taraji P. Henson, will find a way to view it here in the UK. Thanks for sharing the story.