Copyright © Mixed Family Life
Design by Dzignine
Saturday, February 27, 2010

Food Fight - Dear Daniel Saturday

It's Saturday! Time for a Dear Daniel letter


Dear Daniel

When will we stop the food fight? I'm beyond tired of you say "NO" to me while Im trying to feed you. Further I don't think it's cute that you're now "hiding" from the food. Meal times is not hide and seek time. Honestly I cant believe we're having such an issue.

People told me this time would come but I didn't believe it. You've always liked food and ate well. So to think there would be a time when you would refuse food? Not going to happen I told myself. Yet here we are at each meal time having this power struggle.

The books and experts say it's about you wanting to feel more control of things. *sigh* Trust me kid, you have control over more things then you know. Do we have to fight in the food area?

I worry that all these missed meals will harm your development. You're still young and need the nourishment that food provides. I'm scared that you'll miss some vital nutrition and have a problem later in life. *sigh* This fear has driven me to
  • Make multi meals in the hope that you might eat one.
  • Make all sorts of weird yummy sounds to encourage you to take a spoon
  • Come up with creative ways to combine everything for those rare moments I can get 3 whole spoons of food into you before you go back on strike
From Nov 2009 to now it feels that this battle has been going on a bit long. At least in my mommy mind. How much more kid?

As I watch you run around and get into mischief, you don't seem to be affected by the missed meals. But I still worry. So can we find a way to call a food truce? Is there some kind of war time eating agreement we both can settle on? As I once again enter the battlefield...with this plate of chicken and rice...I hope we can. Soon!

Love you always,
Your Umma

    Like this article? Subscribe to the RSS feed or for email updates!

4 comments:

shotoclay says:
at: March 2, 2010 at 7:40 AM said...

Hey Nikky,
My son was doing the same thing. Until we realized that he won't eat anything we try to feed him. Turns out, he was ready to start eating on his own.

try to cook something he can eat with his hands and put a mat under the table, you'll need it for couple of months. :)

Good luck!

Anonymous
at: March 2, 2010 at 7:28 PM said...

yum..chicken and rice sounds good to me..lucky daniel..i live away from home(in unI) and can't cook to save my life.

Yakini says:
at: March 3, 2010 at 9:48 PM said...

Chase isnt even 2 yet, but he is already entering that independent, oppositional stage... omg, he is just so feisty and we also have power struggles daily. His thing now is flinging his little body on the floor and tantrumming when I do try to take control and set limits. And this is before he is even 2. So I can totally relate to what you're going thru with Daniel. Hopefully he is at least drinking (so he doesn't become dehydrated).

I know you're a breast feeding mommy, but maybe on the nights he doesnt eat, you can give him something like Next Step Formula, which is simply milk rich with nutrients that toddlers need. I see it as like Ensure for babies who aren't eating.

Allison says:
at: March 14, 2010 at 1:46 PM said...

What a cute idea- Dear Kid saturday not food fights! LOL Your blog looks really cute and I can't wait to rad more posts. I am a new follower from MBC Calling All Commenters. Check out my blogs when you get a chance. Thanks!
~Allison
http://the-winfields-7.blogspot.com
http://luv-books.blogspot.com